AEA Ribbon Recording Bundle
Ribbon Mic/Mic Pre Recording Setup for Your Studio!
When you need that silky smooth sound on your track that only ribbon can give you, this is the package for you. We've paired an AEA R88 Ribbon Microphone optimized for stereo instrument and ensemble recording and an AEA RPQ Rackmount Ribbon Mic Pre to produce some of the warmest tracking we've ever heard...
AEA R88The R88 has been optimized for stereo instrument and ensemble recording. The R88's two ribbon motors are oriented at 90 degrees, and have excellent off-axis frequency response. The R88 uses the large ribbon configuration of the classic RCA 44 series mics, which gives the mic solid 20Hz bass response and a smooth high end which is flattering to complex tones such as cymbals, strings, and woodwinds.The R88 is very useful for chamber music, drum overheads, stereo piano pickup, horn sections, and most any coincident stereo pickup application. The high quality passive electronics in the R88 ensure a huge dynamic range with minimal distortion, but the R88 will sound best with a preamp that has at least 60dB of clean gain, low noise floor (-127dB EIN or better) and input impedance of at least 1.5 kOhm.The R88 is minimally protected from wind blasts for the most natural sound quality possible, so a pop filter should be used when making close vocal recordings. The R88 may be used for both Blumlein stereo and M-S Stereo recording techniques. The mic is finished in Stealth black to reduce visibility in live recording situations, and features an integral shock suspension to reduce noise coupled through the mic stand.Features:
AEA RPQThe AEA RPQ Ribbon Preamp with Curve-Shaping provides two channels of high-quality, high-gain, low-noise microphone preamplification, and unlike the TRP provides phantom power for active electronics. Particularly well-suited for use with ribbon microphones, it delivers the speed, precision, quietness, and headroom needed for today's high-resolution recordings. The JFET circuit design generates up to 80 dB of clean and quiet gain, with extended bandwidth from below 1 Hz to beyond 200 kHz, for dynamic range and transient response that complements all of your microphones.
- Matched pair of Large Ribbon Geometry figure-eight mics for Blumlein or MS stereo
- 20 hz to 20 kHz response
- Built in shock mount, and captive 4 meter cable to two A3M connectors
- Supplied with a locking angle adapter for flexible positioning
- Designed to fly overhead for large venue installations
- Three pounds plus the cable weight
- 2.5" diameter and 14" tall
- Black stealth finish
- Sturdy zippered case
The RPQ's Curve-Shaper gives you the tools to control your ribbons. Ribbon mics are capable of delivering strong sub-woofer lows, and can have a significant bass proximity effect. Such strong low-frequency content can mask high-frequency intelligibility, so the tunable LF filter was engineered to tame low-frequency energy to appropriate levels.
The HF filter enables you to extend the high end adding a little extra "presence" or "air" to the pickup. The HF filter compensates for the high-frequency roll-off that is inherent to most ribbon microphones, distant mic placement, or an overly "dry" acoustical environment.
- Transducers: dual 2" ribbons oriented at 90 degrees
- Sensitivity: -52dBV/Pa
- Frequency Response: 20Hz–15kHz (± 3dB)
- Output Impedance: 270 ohms
- SPL Handling: 165dB SPL at 1 kHz
- 80 dB of gain at 1kHz, balanced-in to balanced-out
- Noise figure, rms A-weighted: < 2 dB
- EIN < -128 dBu A-weighted, 150 Ω resistive source
- Balanced Microphone Input Impedance > 10 kΩ
- Green, red, and yellow LEDs indicate line level
- XLR output max level into 600Ω load: +28 dBu, balanced; +22 dBu, unbalanced
- TRS output max level into 100 kΩ load: +22 dBu, unbalanced
- Grayhill series 71 stepped gain switch
- Rotary potentiometers detented at 12:00 o'clock position
- Metallic blue and steel gray powder-coat finish
- Silkscreened engraved legends and single line schematic
- Detachable rack-ears included
- 1 RU steel and aluminum chassis: 17.25" w, 11" d, 1.7" h (44 cm x 28 cm x 4.3 cm)
- Weight: 6.75 pounds (3.1 Kg)