AKG C 451 B/ST
Factory Matched Stereo Pair of Small-diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone with Selectable Pad and High-pass Filter
Factory-matched set of C 451 B's, for critical stereo applications.
Along with the Neumann KM84, which is a bit more colored than the super-flat 451, the 451 has for decades been at the top of the pencil condenser field.
The fact that it's durable, versatile, and not-outrageously-priced is what lands it in the mic cabinets of most major studios. We've perennially relied on stereo pairs for micing drum overheads, acoustic guitars, pianos, and the occasional field recording. Hot tip: try using it for the top and bottom of a brushed snare -- brush details will come through loud and clear.
A classic by now, the CMS Series CK 1 capsule from AKG was a best seller from the moment it was launched in 1969. Comprising a range of interchangeable capsules and preamps as well as then innovative, dedicated accessories, the CMS Series from AKG quickly became a legend. It was discontinued in 1993.
AKG C 451 B/ST Features :
- Factory Matched Stereo Pair
- Identical acoustics of the legendary CK 1.
- Rugged construction.
- Ruler-flat on-axis frequency response.
- Precise, nearly frequency independent cardioid.
- Extremely accurate signal transfer.
- A switchable highpass filter at75 Hz or 150 Hz prevents low-end distortion due, e.g., to rumble or wind.
- A switchable 10-dB/20-dB preattenuation pad increases the microphone’s SPL capability.
- An all-metal body provides excellent protection from RF interference.
- The capsule is permanently fixed to the preamp to increase overall stability under mechanical stress.
Responding to growing demand from recording engineers, AKG decided to produce the C 451B with identical acoustical behaviour of the popular original C 451EB + CK 1 microphone again, with dramatically improved specifications and outstanding price/performance.
The capsule of the new version is fixed permanently to the preamp to eliminate the mechanical problems of the screw joint. Using an extremely light diaphragm, the new C 451B is almost totally insensitive to handling noise. An all-metal body provides excellent protection from RF interference and the microphone is rugged enough to give excellent results even under very harsh conditions.
The C 451B is an excellent tool for accurately capturing signals rich in transients such as drums, overhead miking, or other instruments with a percussive sound. The airy sound, high overload limit of the capsule and electronic circuitry, and improved engineering details of the C 451B are a solid foundation for creating another legend.
The matched pairs consist of two microphones that are within 1 dB to each other in sensitivity and also within 1 dB to each other in the range of 200 Hz to 15,000 Hz of the individual frequency response when used in cardioid mode and are selected from a large quantity of individual microphones using the described criteria by using a proprietary computer program.
Using this matched pair for stereo recordings utilizing various techniques will provide for a good and stable balance without frequency-dependent shifting of the stereo panorama.
The kit includes all the standard accessories of the individual package along with a stereo bar and proof of performance charts in an attractive carrying case (Soundtool case, middle size).
AKG C 451 B Specifications :
- Polar pattern cardioid
- Frequency range 20 to 20,000 Hz
- Sensitivity 9 mV/Pa (-41 dBV)
- Max. SPL 135/145/155 dB (0/-10/-20 dB) (k=0,5%)
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR 468-3) 29 dB
- Equivalent noise level 18 dB-A
- Signal/noise ratio (A-weighted) 76 dB
- Preattenuation pad 0 dB, 10 dB, 20 dB selectable
- Bass filter flat, 12 dB/octave at 75 or 150 Hz, selectable
- Impedance <200 ohms
- Recommended load impedance >1000 ohms
- Supply voltage 9 to 52 V phantom power to DIN 45596
- Powering <2 mA
- Connector 3-pin XLR
- Finish satin nickel plated
- Net weight 125 g / 4.4 oz.
- Shipping weight 760 g / 1.7 lbs.