AKG C12 VR
Classic Vacuum Tube Mic with 1" Twin Diaphragm Capsule Design, 9 Selectable Polar Patterns, and Switchable Filters & Pads.
Recreation of the Legendary AKG C12!
The AKG C 12 is one of the most famous and desirable tube microphones in the history of recording. This collector's item is very much sought after and engineers all over the world love it for its fantastic, unique sound.
Now, AKG's C 12 VR offers a remarkable recreation of the original, with new self noise and distortion specs optimized to meet the current state of the art. More rugged, less susceptible to hum interference, and provides exceptionally low self noise - you'll be impressed by the classic performance it delivers!
Production of the original C 12 ceased in 1963, and over the years it gradually became a
sought-after collectors' itema legendary recording instrument acclaimed worldwide for its
exquisite sound. Now, it's back.
AKG C 12 VR Features :
- Recreation of a legendary tube mic with improved performance
- Combination of diaphragm and tube deliver remarkable sound
- Filters, pads and sensitivity adjustments let you tailor the mic to your needs
- Classic 1-inch condenser tube performance of the original AKG C 12
- Dual diaphragm, 1" diameter gold sputtered mylar foil
- Multiple patterns remotely controlled with silent switching
- Polar patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8, with 6 intermediate patterns (silent switching)
- Uses the original 6072 vacuum tube
- Uses the original 1950's dual diaphragm design for sound that has the same warmth, clarity and presence of the original
- Internal microphone switching for pre-attenuation of -10, -20 dB and boost of +10 dB to accommodate all studio requirements.
- External (in control unit) two-position bass cut/roll-off
The new C 12 VR is true to the original C 12's electronic
and acoustic design with only subtle refinements (made possible by modern manufacturing
techniques and improvements in basic circuit components) incorporated to increase overall
robustness and reduce susceptibility to hum and noise.
With the recreated 1-inch twin diaphragm capsule design and the same 6072 vacuum tube
at the heart of its circuitry, the C 12 VR assures that even the most discriminating users
will enjoy the trademark warmth, clarity and presence that characterized the original model.
Nine different polar patterns are available, any of which may be remotely selected from the
N 12 VR powering unit. Other user control features include two bass roll-off filters (also
remotely selectable), switchable preattenuation pads, and a switchable 10 dB boost in nominal
sensitivity. A large core-section output transformer minimizes low frequency distortion,
and special shock mounting elements protect circuitry and provide acoustic isolation. The
C 12 VR comes complete with powering/remote unit, H 15/T elastic shock mount suspension,
10 m (30-foot) connecting cable, W 42 foam windscreen, and rugged aluminum carrying case.
Individually tested frequency response graph also included.
AKG C 12 VR Specifications :
- Polar patterns: cardioid, omni-directional, figure eight, and six intermediate positions selectable on remote control.
- Frequency response: 30Hz to 20,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: 10 mV/Pa (-40 dBV); can be increased by 10 dB by a switch in the microphone
- Max. SPL for 3 %
THD: 128 dB
- Equivalent noise level: 22 dB-A
- Signal/noise ratio (A-weighted): 72 dB
- Pre-attenuation pad: -10 dB or -20 dB, selectable
- Bass cut filter: 6 db/12 dB/octave at 120 Hz
- Electrical impedance: 200 ohm
- Recommended load impedance: >1000 ohms or greater
- Impedance: 200 ohms (±25%)
- Output connector (from control unit): XLR (pin 2 positive)
- Output connector (from microphone): Tuchel 12-pin DIN
- Cable length: 10 m (33 ft.)
- Finish: Green/Gold
- Size: dia.: 42 mm (1.6 in.); length: 225 mm (8.8 in.)
- Net/Shipping weight: 680 g/4.5 kg (24 oz./10 lbs.)
Standard accessories: N 12 VR, H 15/T, MK/Tube, W 42
Optional accessories: PF 100, MK 9/10