Single-Channel High-Voltage Instrument DI Preamp
The U5 high-voltage DI-preamp combines a unique passive tone selector with a variable gain preamp and filter. The high input impedance accepts a wide variety of signal levels and instruments from acoustic guitars to high-output active bass guitars and keyboards. The U5 direct box is loaded with sonic character and user features professionals demand.
The Avalon U5 Pure Class A instrument DI & preamplifier is the most
powerful direct box available today.
Designed to optimize absolute signal integrity and musical performance,
the U5 includes many features and sonic excellence unequaled by lesser designs.
The U5 is ideal for bass guitar and acoustic instruments, electric guitars,
keyboards, synthesizers and low output pickups.
Features include state-of-the-art, high input impedance input stage for zero
load effect on sensitive pickups and keyboards, 100% discrete, Pure Class A
signal amplifiers, practical user features and rugged hardware designed to
deliver true high performance audio for many years.
Designed for Deep and Controlled Bass
Avalon U5 DI-preamps have been in use around the world since 1995. They have
found their way into the world's leading musicians rigs and recording sessions
and been featured on thousands of the best selling (and sounding) albums and
Minimum Signal Path Design
The U5 includes a variable gain Class A preamplifier to boost low level
pickup signals and a high level speaker input for capturing the live sound of
the instruments amplifier. Six passive tone-EQ curves are also included to
enhance a variety of acoustic and electric instruments. A high-cut switch
eliminates unwanted acoustic pickup and high frequency noise, while a headphone monitor amp has been included
for personal listening. Twin DC coupled Class A output amplifiers drive both
low level microphone preamp inputs and high level +4dB inputs for direct to
tape recording or processing. The active-to-thru switch selects either the
instrument input directly or sends the boosted-equalized signal to the
amplifier via the front panel jack. A ground isolation switch eliminates any possible
earth loop or AC buzz problems with complete safety.
Avalon U5 Specifications :
- Circuit Topology: 100% discrete, high-voltage Class A
- Gain: Switched 3dB steps, maximum gain +30dB
- Input Impedance: 3 ,000,000 ohm unbalanced (single ended)
- Maximum Input Level +24dBu unbalanced, 400w speaker input
- Output Connectors (2): XLR type, pin 2 hot electronic balanced
- Maximum Output Level (Class A): +30dBu DC coupled, balanced 600 ohms (mic and
- Headphone Output: 0.5w into 600 ohms
- Noise 20kHz Unweighted: -100dBu minimum gain position
- Distortion THD, IMD: 0.1% at +10dB
- Frequency Response, -/+0.5dB: 5Hz to 100kHz
- Frequency Response, -3dB: 1Hz to 500kHz (input band limited)
- High Cut Filter: -3dB at 8kHz minimum phase design
- Tone Selector: Six position rotary switch, all passive filters
- AC Power: Internal toroidal AC supply
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 3.5 x 12 in (216 x 88 x 305mm)
- Weight-Packed: 12lbs (5.4kg)
- Rack mount kit (1) RM-1: Single U5 19 inch rack mount kit (holds one half rack
- Rack mount kit (2) RM-2: Dual U5 19 inch rack mount kit (holds two half rack units)