4 Channel Microphone Preamplifier with Transformerless Inputs and Outputs
Four channel mic-pre / mixer. Outputs include 4 direct, 2 stereo, 2 control room, & HPA2ª headphone amplifier. With rack mount ears, silver faceplate & black knobs.
Unmask Your Audio with the PRE420 Ultra-quiet preamp for your studio!
A remarkable four-channel microphone preamplifier with an integrated stereo mix bus and stereo/mono solo bus in a sleek, 1RU chassis.
What makes one mic-pre superior to the others?
Even high-end preamplifiers can mask subtle details because of intermodulation distortion, a symptom of RF interference and non-linear performance at ultra-sonic frequencies. The PRE420's innovative circuitry provides ultra-low distortion over a 500kHz bandwidth while maintaining RF-immunity in the most demanding environments.
The PRE420 is equipped with Benchmark's exclusive CMF1™ RF-filter
The CMF1™ has been extensively tested and proven in Benchmark's MPS mic-pre series by experienced studio and remote recording engineers in heavy RF fields - such as venues in close proximity to broadcast antennas. This RF-immunity is coupled with ultra-low distortion performance at high-frequencies beyond the reach of most mic-pres, giving your audio remarkable realism. With amazingly low THD+N of 0.00024% (see specs), we welcome you to compare the PRE420's performance specifications with any other mic pre available.
Benchmark's proprietary MirrorPan™ circuitry minimizes distortion while ensuring constant-power panning with pin-point precision
MirrorPan's™ innovative mirrored-circuitry, from which the name is derived, eliminates the non-linear distortion caused by potentiometer wiper-current. The result is excellent channel seperation and remarkably accurate imaging. The center-detent position is factory calibrated for precise center-placement.
An elegant and completely unique feature set compliments the uncompromised sonic integrity of the PRE420. A solo section allows monitoring of any channel or combination of channels (with switchable stereo/mono) via control room XLR outputs and the integrated HPA2™ - Benchmark's signature high-current, 0-Ohm headphone amplifier. The PRE420's main mix bus XLR outputs are monitored via a dual, variable intensity signal level meter and peak-warning indicator*. Each of the four channels has an independent direct XLR output, a variable intensity signal level meter and peak-warning indicator*, and MirrorPan™ control. Each channel features a precisely matched 41-position first-stage gain control factory preset to a maximium gain of 60dB (internally adjustable up to 70dB for special applications).
The convenient flexibility of these unique features in no way compromises the pristine audio path
The PRE420's RF-immune, wide-bandwidth circuitry faithfully delivers stunningly high resolution to all direct, stereo, control room, and headphone outputs.
Rugged Yet Elegant Chassis
A rugged 1 RU enclosure includes an internal power supply that supports all international voltages and has generous margins for over-voltage and under-voltage conditions. It features a core-banded toroidal transformer in a shielded enclosure.
Benchmark PRE420 Features :
- Four-channel microphone preamp that delivers up to 500kHz of bandwidth, ultra-low noise and distortion, along with superb RF immunity
- Balanced, transformerless inputs and outputs
- Stereo mix bus and isolated stereo/mono solo bus
- The stereo mix bus includes MirrorPan - Benchmark's proprietary zero-distortion, constant-power panning technology
- Precision-matched monolithic low-noise transistor quads on each microphone input
- 60db maximum first-stage gain, adjustable to 70db
- CMF1 common mode RF filter on each microphone input
- Four direct XLR outputs, two control room XLR outputs, and two mix XLR outputs
- Matched forty-one detent first-stage gain controls on every microphone input
- Forty-one detent main output level control
- High-current, HPA2 "0-Ω" headphone amplifier with a switch that enables muting the control room output on headphone insertion
- Forty-one detent control room/headphone level control
- Adjustable peak warning indicator and variable intensity signal level meter on each channel and the mix bus
- High-current, high-speed, low-capacitance phantom protection circuits, fully protected against phantom hot-plug and cable-shorting scenarios
- Independently switchable +48V phantom power, 40Hz switchable high-pass filter, and -20dB pad per channel
- Ultra-quiet linear power supply with rear-panel input voltage selector
- Independently switchable +48V phantom power, 40Hz switchable high-pass filter, & -20dB pad.
- Ultra-low noise/distortion: (THD+N @ 22dB Gain 10Hz-20kHz = 0.00027%)
- RF-immune, wide bandwidth (500kHz)
Dimensions 19" W x 12.6" D x 1.8" T
Weight 11 lbs