The Dave Smith Instruments Mopho is a compact, affordable, and incredibly powerful monophonic analog synthesizer. The voice architecture is identical to a single voice of the Prophet '08, but with a couple of unique twists to distinguish it from its award-winning sibling.
Dave Smith has added two sub-octave generators—one per oscillator—for additional girth and crushing basses. It also has an audio input that lets you process external audio and mix Mopho's own audio output back in pre-filter for feedback effects that can range from subtle distortion to extreme skronk. The Push It button is a manual trigger that lets you play a specific note or latch notes and sequences on. It can also step through a sequence to play short melodic lines without a keyboard. Of course, Mopho can also be used with a MIDI controller or external sequencer.
Mopho is fully programmable and all the parameters can be tweaked from the front panel. The four Assignable Parameters controls are assignable per program for optimum performance control. A free editor is available for Mac OS and Windows to facilitate programming. (And, if you already have a Prophet '08, most of Mopho's parameters can be controlled from the Prophet's front panel via MIDI!)
Mopho is perfect for people who want to learn the ins and outs of real analog synthesis without spending a bundle, DJs looking to add some old school sonic spice to their setups, and musicians who will appreciate a great-sounding, very portable mono synth.
Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Features :
- Affordable, fully programmable mono synth
- 100% analog signal path
- Process external audio through the filter and envelopes
- Two oscillators
- One classic Curtis low-pass filter (switchable 2- or 4-pole)
- Analog VCAs
- Three envelope generators (ADSR plus delay)
- Two sub-octave generators (one octave down and two octaves down)
- External audio input with feedback
- Gated, 16 x 4 step sequencer (one sequence per program)
- Fully programmable from front panel (also includes "lite" version of software editor for Mac OS and Windows)
- Four assignable performance controls per program
- 384 programs
- I/O: MIDI In, MIDI Out/Thru, Audio In, Left and Right Audio Out, Headphone Out
- 7.5" wide x 5" deep x 1.4" high
- Weight: 1.5 pounds
Includes Free editor for Mac OS and Windows.
About Dave Smith Instruments :
Dave Smith is considered a legendary figure in the synthesizer world, he founded Sequential Circuits and designed such classics as the Prophet 5 and Prophet VS, and he was a pioneer in bringing MIDI to synthesizers.
After a stint working in Software Synthesis for Seer Systems, Dave collaborated with Roger Linn on the Adrenalinn, and then officially came back to the world of hardware synthesizers.
And the world was happy to find him back designing synths for a new generation of players.