D.W. Fearn VT-4
Single Channel Vacuum Tube Equalizer with LC Passive Circuitry
This high end tube equalizer will change the way you think of eq.
The DW Fearn VT-4 is smooth and sweet, and can be very subtle at mild settings, but quite strong with aggressive use of the controls. Creative use of the low boost and cut will create a powerful bass that has to be heard to be believed. The high boost adds just the right brightness to vocals, guitars -- any sound, or even an entire mix. Even with extreme settings, the VT-4 will never sound harsh.
It will change the way you think of eq's!
DW Fearn VT-4 Features :
- Single channel equalizer
- Class-A triode vacuum tube stages for the input and output
- LC-style passive equalization circuitry is based on classic designs
- Input transformer is made by Jensen
- Stepped controls for precise repeatability and uniform matching
- Heavy duty construction with heavy-guage aluminum chassis and 1/4-inch thick front panel, finished in D.W. Fearn red
This single-channel equalizer uses passive LC circuitry with class-A triode vacuum tube stages for the input and output. The tube circuitry is largely derived from the VT-1/VT-2 mic preamp design, so the equalizer has much the same sonic character as the preamps.
The LC-style passive equalization circuitry is based on the classic designs that are still the best-sounding way to achieve high-quality tonal control.
The input is line-level, transformer balanced-bridging. An active vacuum tube input section has adjustable gain to accomodate input signals as low as -10 dBm. The input transformer is made by Jensen. The output stage utilizes the same custom Jensen transformer used on the VT-1/VT-2 mic preamps.
All controls are stepped for precise repeatability and uniform matching between units. High-quality rotary switches are used with 1% metal-film resistors. All of the audio capacitors are polystyrene or polypropylene. The inductors are custom-made for us by Jensen Transformers Inc.
The equalizer is constructed of heavy-guage aluminum, with a a 3RU (5.25 inch), 1/4-inch thick front panel, finished in D.W. Fearn red. It matches the VT-1/VT-2 series of mic preamps in appearance and construction.
Like the VT-1/VT-2 preamps, the Equalizer has been designed to provide an exceptional tool for audio professionals. The design frequencies and curves were determed by ear, after extensive listening to a variety of program material, both individual tracks and overall mixes. The result is a highly-musical equalizer with plenty of range for enhancing any track or mix.
Design Philosophy :
D.W. Fearn products are hand-built by craftsman, one at a time, in the U.S.A. Unfortunately construction of this quality is not inexpensive. D.W. Fearn never designs to a price goal. They design products with the best possible performance, and then determine what the price has to be. D.W. Fearn products are not for everyone. They are for the discerning ear that will immediately hear the difference and for the user who does not compromise in his goal of making the world’s finest recordings. If that approach describes your recording philosophy, you will find that any of the D.W. Fearn products will make your job easier and more rewarding.
Since the introduction of the VT-1 in 1993, D.W. Fearn has maintained this philosophy - continually gratified that their products are in use by many of the world’s best studios, engineers, producers, and artists.
DW Fearn VT-4 Specifications :
(All controls are independent and can be used in any combination)
- Low Cut at 30, 40, 100, or 400 Hz, 0 to -18 dB shelving in 2 dB steps
- Low Boost at 20, 40, 80, or 140 Hz, 0 to 12 dB shelving in 2 dB steps
- Mid Cut at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, or 700 Hz, 0 to -30 dB in 3 dB steps
- High Boost at 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, or 16 kHz, 0 to 12 dB in 2 dB steps
- High Bandwidth Q of 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.4, or 1.7
- High Frequency Cut at 1.5, 3.5, 8, or 20 kHz, 0 to -14 dB shelving in 2 dB steps
- Gain adjustable from -9 to +9 dB, referenced to +4 dBm, in 3 dB steps
- Frequency response: +/- 0.2 dB 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- THD: less than 0.20%
- Noise: less than -90 dBm