Neumann KM184 MT
Cardioid Studio Condenser Miniature Microphone, in Matte Black Finish
The KM 184 (cardioid) in particular has become the classic high-quality miniature microphone. Now also available in attractive stereo sets, with cardioid, hypercardioid or omni directional characteristics.
Same as the KM184 NI but in flat black finish.
Neumann KM184 MT Features :
* High quality design ideal for all typical studio applications
* Successor of the worldwide successful KM 83/84
* Transformerless circuitry
* Trouble-free operation also with unbalanced equipment (e.g., DAT recorders)
* Set includes windshield and two different microphone clamps
* For universal use, especially for recording situations when it is necessary to attenuate off-axis sound (mainly from the rear) from other nearby instruments.
* As XY and ORTF stereo pair
* Announcer's mic for broadcasting
* Spot mic, overhead
* Close miking of strings, wind instruments, percussion, piano, Leslie speakers, guitar amps
Acoustic features :
The KM 184 microphone is the successor of the well proven KM 84, which has been used since the seventies worldwide with great success.
The KM 184 is a pressure gradient transducer with a very smooth frequency response; not only for the 0°„ axis, but also for lateral (off-axis) sound incidence. In typical usage, there is no coloration of sound over a wide pickup angle.
Although the KM 184 has the same capsule as the KM 84, the microphone differs slightly on the 0°„ frequency response: The KM 184 has a gentle rise at about 9 kHz, a characteristic that was introduced very successfully with the KM 140. The result is a tonal balance that is fresher and livelier when compared to the KM 84 with its flat frequency response in that band.
This difference was achieved with just a slight change of the capsule°Øs rear opening, and is not due to resonances.
Electrical features :
The KM 184 microphone has the same transformerless circuitry as is used in the KM 100 system, resulting in excellent technical specifications.
Compared to the KM 84 the dynamic range of the KM 184 increased by 24 dB mainly through the reduction of self-noise level to only 22 dB (CCIR) and an increased sound pressure handlingcapability of up to 138 dB.
The microphone operates without any problems, even if the input of following equipment happens to be unbalanced, for example as in some DAT recorders.
The output of the KM 184, as in all Neumann microphones, is balanced and phantom (48V) powered.
The mechanical construction was simplified, for example, capsule and output stage cannot be separated from each other. For this reason the KM 184 is an economical alternative without giving up the electroacoustic features the users expect from Neumann microphones.
The "Series 180" consists of three compact miniature microphones with patterns that satisfy the demands of all common studio applications.
Because of its optimized mechanical construction and conscious omission of modularity, which is unnecessary in many cases, the "Series 180" is predestined for economy-minded production and home recording studios.
The KM 183 omnidirectional and KM 185 hypercardioid microphones are based on the tremendously successful KM 184 cardioid microphone, which has become a standard within the global studio community in just a very short time. All "Series 180" microphones are available with either matte black or nickel finish.
Neumann KM184 MT Specifications :
* Acoustical operating principle: Pressure/Pressure gradient transducer
* Directional pattern: Cardioid
* Frequency range 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
* Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm 12/15/10 mV/Pa
* Rated impedance 50 ohms
* Rated load impedance 1 kohms
* Equivalent noise level, CCIR1) 24/22/24 dB
* Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1) 13/13/15 dB-A
* Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL) 70/72/70 dB
* Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL) 81/81/79 dB
* Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2) 140/138/142 dB
* Maximum output voltage 10 dBu
* Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938) 48 V °¿ 4 V
* Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938) 3.2 mA
* Matching connectors XLR 3F
* Weight approx. 80 g
* Diameter 22 mm
* Length 107 mm