Pete's Place Audio MKVIII
500 Series Sidecar
The MK VIII accepts a total of 16 single 500 series modules. All of the module slots can be bypassed or engaged from a button on each channel's corresponding routing module. This allows the user to have 1, 2 or no modules in each channel strip while maintaining full routing and fader control of the signal running through that channel.
No modules at all? Yes. The routing itself can be the first point of entry and can provide all of its key functions. This becomes especially handy for two-space modules so the loss of one space doesn't negate an entire channel and for users with a limited number of modules on hand.
There is an insert control on each routing module that allows the user to kick the signal out (and back in) of the units rear DB25 insert points. This is perfect for patching in external rackmount Equipment.
For example, perhaps a user already has an 8 channel 500 rack. They could insert the entire rack into one of the insert points to expand the overall module slots to 24 slots. Or, as an alternative, 32 slots by using 2 racks.
The bypass and insert system also allows the user to use the Mk8 500 slots individually and independent from the routing and fader system, as if they had two 8 channel racks. This is great for tracking. Our goal is to give maximum flexibility and not tie the user to a set mode of working.
The routing module from top to bottom:
- Module rows 1 and 2 bypass controls
- Module rows 1 and 2 insert controls
- Buss 1-8 Assigns
- LR Buss assign
- Stereo Aux 1 control with pre/post switch
- Stereo Aux 2 control with pre/post switch
- Pan control with pan defeat
- Unity switch that bypasses fader for a
- locked unity gain setting
- Fixed level pad switch
- Phase reverse switch
- Mute Switch
- Solo Switch
- 100mm Fader
The rear of the unit has
- XLR inputs 1-8 with linked db25
- Row 1 Insert Send and Return. DB25 Balanced
- Row 2 Insert Send and Return. DB25 Balanced
- Direct outputs. DB25 Balanced Line Level
- Buss Outputs. DB25 Balanced Line level
- Aux/Solo Outputs. DB25 Balanced Line Level
- LR Main Output. XLR
Power is provided by a beefy external power supply with phantom power.