Prism Sound Maselec MEA-2 Parametric Equalizer
Stereo or 2-channel, four-band precision analogue equalizer
The Prism Maselec MEA-2 Parametric Equalizer is a stereo or 2-channel, four-band precision analogue equalizer with stepped Q/shelf, frequency and cut/boost controls on each band. It is designed for recording and mastering applications where ultimate sonic performance, musicality and precision are required.
Top recording and mastering engineers still use some analogue signal processing equipment, finding the familiar correlation between sound and control better to work with. However, most analogue equalizers have either continuously variable controls, making precise adjustments difficult, or just a few coarsely-stepped controls. Many fail to meet the standards of audio performance consistent with digital media. The MEA-2 provides fully-stepped controls for precision and repeatability for ALL parameters.
The MEA-2 is extensively used in mastering but also works well on an insertion point in recording or mixing. The MEA-2 has stepped controls with a fine 0.5dB gain adjustment at low cut/boost settings. Maximum cut/boost per band is 8dB.
The MEA-2 is an equalizer that can provide precise equalization with minimal side-effects - it is designed to provide a very transparent signal path where only the desired equalization effect is obtained without adding any particular sonic signature.
Pedigree and design philosophy for the Maselec Master Series
The first to appear in the range of Maselec Master Series products, the MEA-2 was developed for Prism Sound by engineer/producer Leif Mases. Leif's work with a diverse range of artists including Abba, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck and Black Sabbath as well as co-ownership of the renowned Marcus Studios in London provided the essential experience using the "tools of the trade" needed to define and implement new and improved professional audio components.
Also qualified in electronic design, Leif Mases developed the highly acclaimed Maselec 9001 retrofit equalizer for SSL 4000 mixing consoles used in film sound and recording studios and currently also builds custom consoles and equipment for mastering and other applications.
The combination of Leif Mases' experience with the creative process and Prism Sound's focus on engineering and technical excellence ensure that the Maselec Master Series delivers great-sounding audio in an intuitive and easy-to-use package.
Using the MEA-2
The MEA-2 is a very special Equalizer that has been designed to achieve a certain sound. It has a distinctive character, discernable both sonically and in the unique shape of its EQ curves.
With 4 bands per channel, shelving/peaking/Q selection on each and 84 interleaved frequency settings per channel, the MEA-2 provides great flexibility and precision.
Each channel can be by-passed individually, indicated by illuminated push buttons on the front panel.
The MEA-2 provides the warmth, punch or air you need with a minimum of effort and without compromising the signal path. There's no easy way to describe it though, so contact us now to arrange a demo. Great sounding EQ is right behind the controls!
Prism Sound Maselec MEA-2 Mastering Equalizer Features :
* Four separate shelf/bell switchable equalizer sections per channel
* Unique equalization characteristics, optimized through extensive listening tests
* Precision stepped controls for accuracy and repeatability
* Overlapping frequency ranges with 84 settings per channel
* Excellent channel-to-channel matching
* Interactive cut/boost and bandwidth controls for more natural operation
* Low noise and wide dynamic range
* Electronically balanced inputs and outputs
* Individual EQ sections are completely switched off when the gain controls are set to 0dB
* Full bypass when the power is turned off
For 2008, the Maselec MEA-2 has had an evolutionary update with subtle performance enhancements while retaining the character of the original. The changes are:
* New exterior design with custom designed metal knobs and thicker front panel
* Faster amplifiers with wider bandwidth
* Improved low frequency EQ filters
* The individual EQ sections are completely switched off when the gain controls are set to 0dB
* Lower noise and wider dynamic range
* New output amplifiers with improved high frequency performance
* Full bypass when the power is turned off
Prism Sound Maselec MEA-2 Mastering Equalizer Specifications :
Maximum boost/cut 8dB/section
Minimum boost/cut 0.5dB
Frequency settings 19Hz to 27kHz
Maximum I/O Level +29dBu
Output noise <-95dBu
Enclosure 19-inch 3RU, depth: 280mm
Power supply 90-120V, 200-250V, 50/60Hz, 20W