Royer R-122V - Limited Time $200 Rebate!
Ribbon Microphone with Vacuum Tube Electronics, in Satin Nickel Finish
Old-school meets new-school in this all new generation transducer! By marrying active valve amplification with dynamic ribbon technology, Royer has made a mic that is all new, all original, and all good! With the flagship R122V, you get the silky high-end that Royer's ribbons are known for, along with extra-supple midrange detail and depth provided by the tube. One of the most amazing mics we've heard since the, um, R121, and the, er, R122...(For a limited time, Royer is offering a $200 rebate on all R-122V mics purchased! ($400 per matched pair) Simply follow the instructions in the pdf provided here.
The R-122V was originally developed in 2001 as a benchmark to test our R-122 designs against. Over four years of additional development, the unique R-122V has evolved into a world class ribbon microphone with unparalleled richness, depth and detail, especially in the midrange frequencies.
R-122V recorded tracks reveal a lush-ness that must be heard to be truly appreciated.
The R-122V vacuum tube ribbon microphone offers the ultimate in ribbon microphone performance for those who insist on the very best.
Royer Labs R-122V Features :
- Vacuum tube electronics provide high output capability, optimal impedance to the ribbon element and low output impedance
- Extremely low self-noise
- Operates from a dedicated power supply
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion instruments
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Ribbon element unaffected by impedance/load, heat or humidity
- Very low magnetic leakage
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Rear side of mic records slightly brighter when three feet or closer to sound source
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient with vacuum tube
- Includes Carrying Case for microphone, Power Supply, Cable and Shock Mount.
The R-122V takes the Royer-pioneered concept of active ribbon microphone technology to an unprecedented level by incorporating vacuum tube electronics into the same proven transducer system used in the venerable R-121 and R-122 ribbon microphones. The high operating voltage of the vacuum tube provides a headroom capability far beyond that capable from a standard phantom power supply. In real-world use, this translates into unmatched clarity, detail and airiness.
he R-122V’s head amplifier consists of a low-noise, triode-connected military grade 5840 vacuum tube. Designed for a wide range of applications, the R-122V offers superb transient response and the drive capabilities only a vacuum tube head amplifier can provide. The circuit is devoid of typical vacuum tube coloration.
The R-122V’s triode-configured cathode follower circuitry enables the microphone to drive long cable runs without sonic degradation or high-frequency loss. This capability is further enhanced by the R-122V's dedicated power supply that provides ample current to the vacuum tube electronics. Induced noise is virtually eliminated by the microphone's fully balanced output that is electrically isolated with a special purpose Jensen output transformer.
Like our phantom powered R-122, the R-122V has far more level than non-powered ribbon microphones and its impedance matching circuitry places a perfect load on the ribbon element at all times. This allows the use of a wide variety of mic preamps without concern for gain and impedance matches, two critical issues with ribbon microphones. All of the R122V's increased output comes from its large, specially designed toroidal transformer, so there is no additional noise associated with the microphone's higher output.
Like all Royer products, the R-122V comes with a lifetime warranty to the original owner (the tube warranty is 10 years).
Royer Labs R-122V Specifications :
- Vacuum Tube: JAN mil-spec 5840W pentode wired in triode configuration
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -36 dB (re. 1v/pa +/- 1 dB)
- Self-Noise: < 18 dB
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms, balanced
- Rated Load Impedance: 1 K-Ohm
- Maximum SPL: >135dB SPL @ 20 Hz
- Power Requirements: Plate supply: 135 VDC @2ma, Filament supply: 6 VDC@ 150ma from dedicated power supply.
- Dimensions: 206mm L, 25mm W (8 1/8 " L, 1" W).
- Weight: 300g (10.9 oz )
- Finish: Satin Nickel/Matte Black Chrome optional