After 20 years, Tube Tech's excellent CL-1 mono opto-compressor is
still going strong. It's no wonder engineers like it so much; it
compresses very transparently, yet induces a subtle, hi-fidelity warmth
to any signal it passes. Don't you like it when something comes out
sounding better than it went in?
The TUBE-TECH CL-1B Compressor features a gain-reduction element, positioned immediately after the input transformer. It is controlled by the sidechain amplifier, which also contain the two time control circuits – one for fixed and one for variable Attack/Release. The two time-controllers can either be used separately or combined. This circuit contains semiconductor OP-amps for the entire control.
The gain-reduction element is followed by a tube-based push-pull amplifier with variable gain up to 30 dB. A dedicated Bus selector with three positions (Off, Bus 1, Bus 2) is used whenever you want to link several compressors together. Input and output transformers have a static-screen between the primary and secondary wirings. Both Input and Output are balanced as well as fully floating.
Tube Tech CL-1B Features :
- Unique low distortion gain-reduction element
- All tube-based push-pull amplifier
- Multiple interconnection of several compressors via two busses
- VU-meter for monitoring input, compression and output
- Continuously variable attack and release time
- Gain Range (off to +30 dB)
- Variable Threshold (off to -40 dBu)
- Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 25 kHz
- Low noise: < -75 dBu @30 dB gain
- Click-less bypass relay
Tube Tech CL-1B Specifications :
Input: 600 ohm
Output: < 60 ohm
* Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 25 kHz
* Distortion THD+N @ 40 Hz
0 dBu: < 0.15 %
+10 dBu: < 0.15 %
* Noise Rg=200 ohm
Output Gain @ 0dB +30 dB
22 Hz-22 kHz: < -85 dBu < -75 dBu
CCIR-468-4: < -75 dBu < -65 dBu
* CMRR @ 10 kHz: < -60 dB
* Max. output @ 1 % THD+N: > +26 dBu
* Gain: off to +30 dB
Input: Ratio: 2:1 to 10:1
Threshold: off to -40 dBu
Attack: 0.5 ms to 300 ms
Release: 0.05 s to 10 s
ECC 82 1 pc
ECC 83 1 pc
* Power requirements
@ 115 V/230 V, 50-60 Hz: 22 W
Height: 132 mm 5.2" (3 rack units)
Width: 480 mm 19.0"
Depth: 170 mm 6.7"
Net: 9.0 lbs.