The Earthworks WL40V is a premium wireless vocal microphone capsule designed for live performance and features fast impulse response, wide frequency response and high SPL handling.
Engineered to deliver studio quality performance to the wireless world, the hand-tuned WL40V features fast impulse response, wide frequency response and high SPL handling. It excels at distance capture, making it ideal for broadcast, corporate, and live performance applications.
The WL40V near-perfect hypercardioid polar pattern is consistent across all frequencies, simplifying mic placement, ensuring more gain before feedback and virtually eliminating phasing issues when using multiple microphones. Singers can also maintain freedom of movement and still maintain pristine sound quality and plenty of gain.
Its near-perfect hypercardioid polar response and 30Hz-40kHz extended flat frequency response translate to a natural on and off-axis performance coupled with benchmark levels of sonic clarity and presence. The capsule’s ultra-fast impulse response delivers a highly accurate reproduction of the nuanced details of vocals.
Interchangeable with any screw-on-type handheld transmitters that receive a 31.3mm/pitch 1.0mm threading, the electret-based WL40V works with transmitters from Lectrosonics, Line 6, Shure and Sony. Its circuitry has been specifically hardened for use with 2.4GHz wireless systems, which frequently exhibit noise with electret-based capsules, making it an ideal replacement capsule for those systems.
Benefits for Live Performance
- High intelligibility
- More gain before feedback
- Near-perfect polar response
- Excellent off-axis rejection
- Uniform frequency response on or off-axis
- Wide pickup pattern, allowing performer to move about freely and still maintain pristine sound quality
- Far less sound in the microphone from your floor monitors
- Reliable performance
Earthworks directional microphones have patented near-perfect polar patterns. The sound across the entire front hemisphere is remarkably uniform and is flatter at 90 degrees than most microphones are on-axis. Our live performance microphones also have an incredible transparent sound quality, offering near-perfect polar response and high rejection of sounds at the rear of the microphone, resulting in less leakage and more gain before feedback.
With a maximum sound pressure level of 145dB SPL, you don’t have to worry about overloading the microphone with loud attacks or strong plosives. While the microphones are able to capture your performance with incredible nuance and precision, they are also built to withstand the rigors of the road.
- 50Hz – 40kHz Flat frequency response
- Hypercardioid polar pattern
- Hand-tuned and tested
- Interchangeable with any screw-on-type handheld transmitters that receive a 1.25″/28 thread pitch (31.3mm/pitch 1.0mm threading)
- Delivers detailed and realistic vocal sound that requires little to no EQ
- Natural on and off-axis performance
- Benchmark levels of clarity and detail
- Hardened against 500MHz and 2.4GHz
- More gain before feedback
- Excels at distance capture
- Lectrosonics: HH
- Line 6: XD-V55, XD-V75
- Shure: LX2, PGX2, SLX2, T2, U2, UC2, ULX2, UR2, UT2
- Sony: DWM-02, ZTX-M01
- Frequency Response: 30Hz-40kHz
- Polar Pattern: Hypercardioid
- Sensitivity: 3mV/Pa
- Power Requirements: 3V 1.15mA to 12V 4.27mA using second & outer ring on 3-ring concentric connector
- Max Acoustic Input: 135dB SPL at 5V
- Output Impedance: 300Ω, unbalanced (center & outer ring)
- Noise: 22dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- Threads: 1.25″/28 thread pitch (31.3mm/pitch 1mm threading)
- Dimensions L x D: 3.7 in. (93.98mm) 1.93 in. (49mm) max diameter & 1.46 in. (37mm) min. diameter
- Weight: .2 lbs (90g)
Download User Manual for Earthworks 40kHz wireless vocal microphone capsule
Download Data Sheet for Earthworks 40kHz wireless vocal microphone capsule
“When she walks down the 50 foot ramp, when she faces the audience, her body blocks the speakers and when she turns around toward the stage, with the rear of the mic facing the speakers, it all works flawlessly. No matter which way she turns, I have no feedback problems when using the WL40V mic capsule. This capsule improved the performance by fifty percent, just by the rejection of all the outside elements such as side fills or wedges.”
– Rick Camp, FOH Engineer for Jennifer Lopez
“In most stage situations, you get cymbal bleed like crazy, especially when you have a drummer who plays fairly hard. Even though the vocal mics were about 18 feet away from the drums, cymbal leakage was a problem. As soon as we switched to the Earthworks SR40V and WL40V the cymbal leakage almost went away. The rear rejection capabilities of the Earthworks microphones, in addition to their excellent vocal quality and the rich sound, just floored me.”
– Lorenzo Banda, Monitor Engineer for Foreigner
Shirley is a very dynamic singer and the WL40V responds well to her different vocal styles. One song she’ll be very intense and aggressive and the next song very soft and lush. She loves the way this microphone sounds both in her ears and on the live recordings that I’ve done on the road.”
– Brad Divens, FOH Engineer for Garbage
To learn more about Earthworks, Click Here