Pendulum Audio MDP1 Vacuum Mic/DI Preamp
The MDP-1 is a modern two channel vacuum tube Mic/DI preamp designed to be the ultimate way to get your mic or source directly to tape or hard disk. Unlike vintage or hybrid designs, the MDP-1 uses a pure tube, class A high voltage circuit topology with a transformerless output stage to deliver an open, intimate sound with a level of detail that meets the requirements of the most demanding recording applications. Our short signal path design excels in audio performance, delivering extremely wide bandwidth, low noise, and high headroom.
A key component of the sound of a tube mic preamp is the input transformer. It’s here that we let your select how you would like the preamp to sound. The MDP-1 can be ordered with your choice of two low turns-ratio transformers depending on your requirements: a Jensen 13K7A for a full, open sound with plenty of sparkle in the high end and a deep low end – perfect for recording all sources, especially instrumental music; or a custom-wound transformer for a more ‘focused’ sound, with extra presence and clarity in the midrange – ideal for a vocal sound that easily distinguishes itself in a mix.
The MDP-1 also has all the things you’d expect in a full-featured mic preamp; phantom power, phase reverse, -20dB input pad, a lo cut filter with 10 frequencies and large, illuminated VU meters.
The DI signal path is completely transformerless, with a selection of three input load impedances: 10M for piezoelectric acoustic instrument pickups, 1M for magnetic pickups, and 100k with a 20dB pad for line level sources such as keyboards or other -10dBV equipment.
The Ultimate Front End for High Resolution Recording:
– All tube, short signal path design
– Pure class A, high voltage circuitry
– Transformerless tube output stage capable of delivering +35dBu
– Low noise, wide bandwidth and superior transient response
– Choice of mic input transformer for ‘full’ or ‘focused’ sound
– 30dB gain range in 3dB steps
– Fully transformerless DI with 100k, 1M and 10M input impedances
– Ten position mic lo-cut filter (20-180Hz)
– Gold-plated switch contacts, I/O connectors and tube sockets
– Polypropylene caps and metal film resistors (pairs matched to 0.1%)
– Fully regulated high voltage (300V) and filament power supplies with soft-start warm-up and muting
– Custom toroidal power transformer with shield for minimum hum