Pendulum Audio OCL-2 Electro-Optical Compressor/Limiter
The MDP-1 is a modern two channel vacuum tube Mic/DI preamp designed to be the ultimate way to get your mic or source directly to tape or hard disk. Unlike vintage or hybrid designs, the MDP-1 uses a pure tube, class A high voltage circuit topology with a transformerless output stage to deliver an open, intimate sound with a level of detail that meets the requirements of the most demanding recording applications. Our short signal path design excels in audio performance, delivering extremely wide bandwidth, low noise, and high headroom.
A key component of the sound of a tube mic preamp is the input transformer. It’s here that we let your select how you would like the preamp to sound. The MDP-1 can be ordered with your choice of two low turns-ratio transformers depending on your requirements: a Jensen 13K7A for a full, open sound with plenty of sparkle in the high end and a deep low end – perfect for recording all sources, especially instrumental music; or a custom-wound transformer for a more ‘focused’ sound, with extra presence and clarity in the midrange – ideal for a vocal sound that easily distinguishes itself in a mix.
The MDP-1 also has all the things you’d expect in a full-featured mic preamp; phantom power, phase reverse, -20dB input pad, a lo cut filter with 10 frequencies and large, illuminated VU meters.
The DI signal path is completely transformerless, with a selection of three input load impedances: 10M for piezoelectric acoustic instrument pickups, 1M for magnetic pickups, and 100k with a 20dB pad for line level sources such as keyboards or other -10dBV equipment.
Smooth Dynamics Processing Without Coloration:
– Fast electro-optical input attenuator with an all tube signal path
– Soft-knee design with fully adjustable compression ratio
– Transformerless high voltage class A signal path
– Low noise, wide bandwidth and superior transient response
– Custom optical cells matched for precise stereo balance
– Three sidechain operating modes: Fast, Presets and Manual
– Two completely independent channels with stereo linking
– Hard bypass switches for each channel
– Sidechain inserts for frequency-dependent compression and de-essing
– Transformerless output stage capable of delivering +35dBu
– Soft-start warm-up with output muting
– Gold-plated switch contacts, I/O connectors and tube sockets
– Fully regulated high voltage (300V), filament and bipolar power – supplies
– Custom toroidal power transformer with shield for minimum hum
– Polypropylene capacitors and metal film resistors
– Single-sided audio pc boards to minimize capacitive interaction