Analog Summing Mixer - 16 Channels with 16 Inserts into 1 Stereo Output with Peak Limiter.
The MixDream summing mixer is as flexible as any recording studio console, and SPL truly intends it to be an analog enhancement to your DAW. The 16 inputs each have an insert point and a direct out, a combination that gives you the option to re-record effected signals back to your DAW. MixDream also sports a Master insert, a stereo expander, and limiter.
The SPL MixDream provides the seamless integration of analog equipment in digital production environments and stereo mix down at the analog level.
Featuring high-grade analog summing without pan and fader controls, one MixDream can sum up to 16 audio tracks to a stereo signal. Should the need arise for more than 16 tracks; several MixDreams may be linked together.
Any DAW or digital console can be expanded with active analog stereo summing and insert functionality.
SPL MixDream Features :
- High-grade analog summing on just 2U rack space—no analog mixing console necessary
- Sophisticated, active Class A/6oV stages for analog summing in the quality of the best consoles
- 16 balanced inserts allow for integrated analog effects with individual and overall hard bypass relays
- Reduction of A/D conversions (14 A/D conversions can be spared with all inserts connected). All analog tracks can be summed before A/D conversion.
- Channel adjustments and automation (level, panorama etc.) remain controlled from the DAW so the user loses no digital efficiency
- Lower DAW processor utilization rates
- The most efficient possible re-sampling of individual tracks with latency free monitoring
- Surround capable (from up to 3 MixDream units)
- Channel capacity expandable through linked units
- Sensitive and transparent stereo expansion control
- Analog peak limiter for impressive loudness
- Master inserts and switchable output transformers from Lundahl
- Optimized signal pathes, all switching functions via relays
- Proprietary differential amplifiers for each input
- Discrete, exceptionally low-noise power supply
Each input channel is equipped with a signal-present LED and a switchable insert-loop. A three-stage toggle switch per channel allows the choice of whether or not a channel should be added to the mix buss. With the No-Mix switch control, a channel may be removed from the mix while remaining available for re-recording through its Direct Output. The No-Mix function can be particularly useful, for example, when the engineer wishes to add track compression. The compressed signal can be re-recorded to the DAW for level automation. This is also known as “bounce back” capability, and without it, compressed signals could not employ level automation, since the compressor is inserted post fader.
Common Bypass for all Inserts :
All Inserts may be switched on or off globally. Connection of Sampler, Keyboards etc. along with DAW audio tracks and effects machines or processors in the insert loops, samplers, keyboards and expanders may also be connected directly to the MixDream. Any MIDI tracks need only be added in the DAW project, the outputs (for example, from a keyboard) are then routed directly to the MixDream.
Mono Controls :
To save converter channels, channels 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 may be switched to Mono so that two signals can be converted by a paired D/A. In this case such signals are characteristically chosen which would receive a more central placement in the stereo mix (e.g. kick, snare, lead vocal, bass). All channel pairs must otherwise be panned hard left/right in the mix.
SPL MixDream Specifications :
* Freq. Response: ‹1Hz-220kHz (+/- 3dB)
* THD+N Ratio: -104dB, (20Hz-22kHz, Input +10dBu, all channels active)
* Noise Level: -97dBu, (20Hz-22kHz, A-weigted, all channels active)
* Max Input Level: +28dBu (@1kHz)
* Max Output Level: +28dBu (@1kHz/THD+N -95dBu)
* Dynamic Range: 125dB (20Hz-22kHz, A-weigted, all channels active)
* Crosstalk L/R: 97dB@1kHz
* CMRR: ‹70dB (@1kHz, +10dBu input level)
* Input Impedance: 10kOhm (for Input 1-16, Expansion, Insert Return)
* Output Impedance: 82Ohm (for Master/Monitor Out w/o transformer, insert send)
* Output Impedance: 65Ohm (for Master/Monitor Out with transformer)
* Power consumption: 75W
* Weight: 18 Pounds