Back in the day, the 1084 preamp/EQ module was introduced to improve upon the now-legendary 1073. The same Class A design was there, but a few more frequencies were added. And the addition of ‘Q’ control, making some of the bands semi-parametric, gave the user the ability to dial in subtle amounts of ‘air’ or notch out offending frequencies. These originals started to go for crazy money — when you could find them. Now Neve has decided to do us all a huge service and re-manufacture 1084’s to exact specifications. This was not easy; many components were out of production and had to be fabricated from scratch. But the results are stunning. Now you can have the real deal, brand new. The vintage sound without the vintage headache.
The 1084’s three EQ bands provide selectable frequency, with cut and boost capability, and a mid-frequency band which benefits from a High Q Presence switch. The high pass filter can be switched between 45Hz, 70Hz, 160Hz & 360Hz, and the low pass filter between 6kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 14kHz, & 18kHz. Both boast 18dB per octave slopes.
Handcrafted and completely hand wired in Burnley, UK by Neve’s dedicated professionals, the 1084 reissue has been reproduced to the exact specifications of the original modules.
Where innovation has improved on previous technology, Neve has welcomed such improvements. However, not all things lend themselves to enhancement. Example: audio transformers. While other manufacturers use replacements, AMS Neve alone has access to the original hand-wound transformers. This is an important factor when you consider that an analogue preamp is only as good as its transformer. That is why only a Neve sounds like a Neve.
All Neve mic preamplifiers are designed to accept signals from a wide range of microphone and line sources. Uncompromisingly low noise and distortion with generous overload performance are noteworthy hallmarks of all Neve products.
- Classic Neve transformer mic preamplifier with wide range of equaliser settings
- Exclusive Neve Marinair™ transformers used on input and output stages
- 3 switchable EQ bands
- HP and LP filters with High Q setting
- Output: Maximum output >+26dBu into 600 ohms. Output impedance is 75 ohms @1kHz.
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output
- Freq. Response: +/-0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz. EQ Out.
- Noise: Not more than -83dBu at all Line gain settings EQ In/Out
- Hand crafted and tested precisely to original 1970 design