ADA-8XR Multi Channel Converter 8 In 8 Out
- ADA-8XR-AES Multi Channel Audio Processor
- ADA-8XR-DSD Processor, DSD I/O (Coax Only)
- ADA-8XR-DSD-AES Processor, DSD (Coax Only)
- ADA-8XR-FW Multi Channel Audio Processor
- ADA-8XR-FW-AES Multi Channel Audio Processor
- ADA-8XR-FW-DSD Multi Channel Audio Processor
- ADA-8XR-PT Audio Processor with Pro-Tools I/O
- ADA-8XR-PT-AES Audio Processor, AES & Pro-Tools I/O
- ADA-8XR-PT-DSD with Pro-Tools Mix DSD (Coax Only)
- ADA-8XR-PTHD Audio Processor with Pro-ToolsHD I/O
- ADA-8XR-PTHD-AES Audio Processor, AES & Pro-Tools HD I/O
- ADA-8XR-DSD-PTHD with Pro-Tools HD DSD (Coax Only) I/O
- ADA-8XR-FW-PTHD with Pro-ToolsHD & Firewire I/O
- ADA-8XR-PTHDX Audio Processor with Pro-Tools HDX
- ADA-8XR-AES-PTHDX Audio Processor, AES & Pro-Tools HDX I/O
- ADA-8XR-DSD-PTHDX with Pro-Tools HDX DSD (Coax Only) I/O
- ADA-8XR-FW-PTHDX with Pro-ToolsHDX & Firewire I/O
The ADA-8XR is a multi-channel AD/DA converter that can be configured in numerous ways using plug-in modules to suit a very wide variety of applications. It can be a 16 channel AD converter, a 16 Channel DA converter or an 8 channel AD/DA converter. It can be a multi-channel FireWire interface, or an AES/EBU / AES3 / SPDIF Digital to Analogue or Analogue to Digital converter. It can act as a high-resolution Pro Tools Interface for recording or post-production. Similarly it can work with a wide range of other popular Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) including Logic, Cubase, Nuendo and others. In fact, there’s not a lot it can’t do when it comes to digital audio conversion.
The ADA-8XR is the top professionals’ converter of choice in the most exacting applications in music and sound recording, mastering, broadcast and post-production. Offering the cleanest and most transparent conversion available, the ADA-8XR is ideal for producers, engineers and songwriters wanting to produce top-quality results when recording, tracking & overdubbing, mixing to stereo or surround, mastering and monitoring. The ADA-8XR is perfect for recording vocal, single instruments, drums or orchestra and is just as much at home providing multiple outputs for external analogue summing. It is in use in the top studios around the world as well as being used in numerous film sound tracks.
The ADA-8XR takes the philosophy of the widely-acclaimed Prism Sound converter range a stage further: Now, the goals of ultimate sound quality, unbeatable performance and un-matched versatility have been realised in a modular multi-channel, 24-bit 192kHz-capable format. The ADA-8XR provides A/D and D/A conversion and the essential digital interfaces with a stereo monitor mix output in digital and analogue formats.
Clocking and Synchronization
Unlike most other converter systems, the ADA-8XR is ideal as a master clock for your entire system, whether running from its precision internal reference or from an external source. No external clock source can improve the performance or influence the sound of the ADA-8XR. In addition, the ADA-8XR can run in Pro Tools Loop Sync mode, or lock to AES3, AES11 or Wordclock. The ADA-8XR delivers your recordings with perfect transparency, whatever the setup.
The ADA-8XR is a modular system and this provides great flexibility when creating systems with larger numbers of channels. Whether you need just a few channels of high-quality conversion or large a multi-track setup, the ADA-8XR is the natural choice. Using combinations of the basic system options and the range of digital interfaces you can build the system that perfectly matches your requirements. For more detail see the ADA-8XR Configurations section.
- Up to 16 channels of state-of-the art 24-bit, 192kHz conversion in one great-sounding 2U package.
- Choice of 8AD plus 8DA; 16AD; 16DA or D-D only configurations.
Dual-path architecture allows independent operation of two 8-channel paths:
- Each path (bank of 8 channels) can be assigned to either record or play functions;
- Each path can have independent clock references at different sample rates if desired;
- Each path is independently configurable;
- Each path can drive analogue and digital outputs simultaneously if desired
- Allows Source Monitoring with simultaneous A/D and D/A conversion.
- Electronically balanced, transformerless, galvanically isolated XLR analogue inputs and outputs ensure freedom from noise pick-up and crosstalk, with software-controlled balance and line-up
- Prism Sound ‘Over-killer’ selectable on analogue inputs: the best-sounding gentle limiting for louder masters – with no ‘overs’
Digital Interface options
- AES3,S/PDIF up to 192kHz. Handles & converts 2-wire formats for 96k and 192k;
- FireWire – for direct connection to DAW software on PC or Mac;
- Pro Tools|HD – replace 192IO/96IOs; up to 32 channels in and out per Digi Core/Process card;
- Pro Tools|24 MIX – direct connection in place of 888|IO;
- DSD – for SACD production, with SDIF2/3 and optional MAC-DSD (Cat5); also allows sample-rate-conversion between any PCM rates.
For computers without FireWire, the FireWire equipped ADA-8XR can also be used with Thunderbolt equipped computers via third party Thunderbolt to FireWire adaptors. Of course FireWire adaptors are also available for ExpressCard and various flavours of PCI cards.
Clocking and synchronisation
- Ultimate Prism Sound clock-stability and jitter-rejection for crystal-clear imaging, with independent multiple PLLs for A/D and D/A paths;
- Locks securely to an external reference working stand-alone or with DAWs.
- 8-channel LED bargraph with peak hold and status monitoring, switchable between paths.
Monitoring and other features
- Stereo monitor, with headphones and analogue line AND digital S/PDIF outputs, can monitor any input or output pair, or a panned stereo mix of all eight channels;
- Built-in Prism Sound ‘SNS’ noise-shapers for ultimate quality 16-bit & 20-bit transfers;
- Built-in Prism Sound ‘MR-X’ word-mapping for lossless recording up to 24-bit, 96kHz on standard DA-88 or ADAT MDMs, or other 16 or 20-bit media;
- Built-in Prism Sound ‘DRE’ for 24-bit performance on 16-bit media WITHOUT losing tracks;
- Intuitive user interface, provides fast access to all I/O and processing functions; with continuous display of all settings;
- Noise-shaping, MRX or DRE processing functions can be also be carried out in ‘D-D’ mode, including conversion between different digital interface formats;
- Modular construction allows upgrading of all input and output cards (INCLUDING A/D, D/A, and DSP boards); no need to worry about future converter advances or new interface standards;
- Internet-upgradeable software – loads from your PC or Mac into ‘flash’ memory inside the ADA-8XR;
8C-AD Analogue Line Input (A/D converter) module:
The 8C-AD Analogue Line Input Module type PREV039/4/2 provides eight electronically-balanced analogue input channels to the ADA 8XR, on eight female XLR connectors.
Input line-up level (sensitivity) is variable for each channel over the range 0dBFS= 5.0dBu to 0dBFS= 24.0dBu, in 0.5dBu steps plus a fine trim.
Each channel has a Prism Sound Overkiller progressive limiter capability, which prevents the A/D converter from reaching full-scale, even when the input level significantly exceeds the selected input range. More information about the Prism Sound Overkiller can be found in the Technical Background section of the Operation Manual.
Control of the input line-up level and trim, and of the Overkillers, is via menus which are present in the ADA-8XR Menu System if the Module is fitted.
8C-DA 8-channel Analogue Line Output ( D/A converter) module:
The 8C-DA Analogue Line Output Module type PREV039/5/1 provides eight electronically-balanced analogue output channels from the ADA 8XR, on eight male XLR connectors.
Output line-up level (gain) is variable for each channel over the range 0dBFS= 5.0dBu to 0dBFS= 24.0dBu, in 0.5dBu steps plus a fine trim.
Control of the output line-up level and trim is via menus which are present in the ADA-8XR Menu System if the Module is fitted.
8C-AES AES3 Digital I/O module:
The 8C-AES AES3 I/O Module type PREV039/6/1 provides eight channels of digital audio input and output for the ADA-8XR on four AES3 carriers in each direction. The input and output sections of the module are completely independent – that is, they can be assigned to different Paths with different sample rates, Sync Sources and other options. The AES3 I/O module can be thought of as two modules in one – one input module and one output module.
The module can accommodate extended sample rates (up to 192kHz) in Split96 (two-wire) or high-speed (one-wire) modes, and can output consumer or professional Channel Status. Inputs and outputs may be jumpered to comply with either AES3 or S/PDIF carrier voltage levels and impedances.
8C-PT Pro Tools Mix compatible interface module:
The 8C-PT Pro Tools I/O interface module provides eight channels of digital audio input and output for the ADA-8XR in a form compatible with Digidesign Pro Tools 24|MIX workstations.
The Pro Tools I/O Module enables the ADA-8XR to replace Digidesign 888|24 or 882 interfaces, providing superior audio performance and extra features.
To Pro Tools, an ADA-8XR fitted with a Pro Tools I/O Module looks the same as an 888|24 and it can be remote-controlled in the same way.
8C-PTHD Pro Tools|HD compatible interface module:
The 8C-PTHD Pro Tools HD compatible interface Module provides eight channels of digital audio input and output for the ADA-8XR in a form compatible with Digidesign Pro Tools|HD workstations.
The Pro Tools HD I/O Module enables the ADA-8XR to replace a Digidesign 96 I/O or 192 I/O interface, providing superior audio performance and extra features.
To the Pro Tools|HD software, an ADA-8XR fitted with a Pro Tools HD I/O Module looks similar to a 192 I/O and operates in a similar way, supporting sample rates up to 192kHz.
8C-PTHDX Pro Tools|HDX compatible interface module:
The 8C-PTHDX Pro Tools HDX Compatible interface module provides eight channels of digital audio input and output for the ADA-8XR in a form compatible with Avid Pro Tools|HDX workstations.
The Pro Tools HD interface Module enables the ADA-8XR to replace Avid HD I/O interfaces, providing superior audio performance and additional features.
To the Pro Tools|HDX software, an ADA-8XR fitted with a Pro Tools HDX compatible interface module looks similar to an Avid HD I/O and operates in a similar way, supporting sample rates up to 192kHz.
8C-DSD DSD I/O module:
The 8C-DSD DSD I/O Module type PREV039/9/1 provides eight channels of ‘Direct Stream Digital’ input and output for the ADA-8XR. The DSD interface format carries an over-sampled one-bit representation of the audio signal as delivered on Super Audio CDs (SACDs).
The DSD I/O Module can transact the DSD data in either SDIF 2 (sometimes known as DSD RAW) or SDIF 3 formats, using coaxial cables via a breakout squid, and optionally in the MAC DSD / SuperMAC format using a CAT5E cable.
When combined with the ADA-8XR’s Analogue Line Input and Output modules, the DSD I/O Module provides eight channels of analogue-to-DSD and DSD-to-analogue conversion. The Module also allows for PCM to DSD and DSD to PCM conversion where a PCM-type I/O Module is fitted, such as an AES3 I/O Module. In this case, PCM synchronous sample rate conversion can also be performed between the PCM input and output for all eight channels.
When used in conjunction with a dedicated workstation I/O Module, such as a Pro Tools HD I/O Module, the DSD I/O Module allows DSD audio sources and destinations to be connected to the workstation directly.
Whilst the DSD format uses a fixed sample rate of 2.8224MHz the ADA-8XR’s DSD I/O Module allows the user to run DSD-connected Paths with any of the ADA-8XR’s sample rate and sync options
8C-FW FireWire I/O module:
The 8C-FW FireWire I/O Module type PREV039/10/1 provides up to eight channels of digital audio input and output for the ADA-8 or ADA-8XR over a FireWire (also known as IEEE-1394) bus connection.
The FireWire I/O Module enables the ADA-8 to be used as a high quality ‘soundcard’, or I/O interface, for native PC and Macintosh workstation applications. Up to four ADA-8s may be connected on the same FireWire bus allowing up to 32 channels of simultaneous recording and playback.
Up to four ADA-8s may be connected on the same FireWire bus allowing up to 32 channels of simultaneous recording and playback.
Each FireWire card caters for 8 simultaneous input and output channels at up to 96kHz sampling rate, or for 4 simultaneous input and outputs channels at 176.4 and 192kHz sampling rates. 8 channel simultaneous input and output applications at sampling rates over 96kHz require two FireWire cards. 16 channel input or 16 channel output applications are also supported at up to 96kHz with two FireWire cards.
For Windows XP PC applications a driver is supplied with the module, which makes the ADA-8(s) appear as Windows Driver Model and ASIO compliant audio device(s).
For Macintosh OS X applications, the Operating System will automatically recognise the connected ADA-8s and make it available to applications as an OS X Core Audio device.