Telefunken M61 FET Omni-Directional Mic
With over a year and half of development and beta testing with top recording engineers, the newly designed Telefunken M61 (Field Effect Transistor) small diaphragm microphone is Telefunken Elektroakustik’s first non-vacuum tube, FET-based solid-state condenser microphone. The M60 FET Series is designed to utilize the same interchangeable TK6x capsules as the TEC Award-winning ELA M 260 small diaphragm tube microphone.
The M61 FET Omni-Directional package includes one M60 amplifier paired with a TK61 omni-directional polar pattern capsule. The TK61 features a 6-micron gold-sputtered membrane measuring 15mm in diameter, and offers a large, open sound perfect for capturing the ambience and vibe of your instrument or recording environment to breathe life into any recording. The frequency response is flat from 20 Hz to 5 kHz, with a smooth, airy presence peak at 8 kHz.
Utilizing a unique proprietary circuit topology, this re-interpretation of the classic FET mic amplifier produces an exceptional transient response and SPL handling capabilities. Carefully selected and tested components are hand-plugged into gold-plated circuit board traces to provide an ultra-clean true Class A discrete amplifier with a frequency response of /- 2dB from 20 Hz to 50 kHz. The output is matched with a custom American-made transformer that offers an especially low self-noise and a typical THD N of 0.015% or better, making it ideal for critical recording applications.
The M60 FET’s incredibly quick transient response captures nuances and subtleties with impressive precision and clarity. This results in an extremely detailed sonic image with definition and presence, perfectly suited for the complex character of stringed instruments and percussive sources.
The M60 FET amplifier body is finished in a durable, lightly textured black powder coat adorned with the historic Telefunken diamond badge. The microphone’s XLR connector shell complements the look with a matte black nickel plated finish engraved with the model and serial number. The TK6x capsules feature a bright nickel plated enclosure with a fine gold mesh pattern.
The M61 FET Omni-Directional system ships complete with an SGMC-5R 5-meter XLR cable with right angle female connector, M761 elastic shock mount, and a foam windscreen, all packed in an FC61 zipper carrying case.
- Type: Pressure Gradient Condenser
- Capsule: TK61 – 15 mm Edge Terminated Diaphragm
- Tube Type: Active FET Transistor (No Vacuum Tube)
- Transformer: Custom Wound Telefunken T61CT
- Polar Pattern: Omni-Directional
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz – 31.5 kHz, ± 2 dB (Amplifier)
- Sensitivity: 8.6 mV/PA, ± 1db
- THD at 1kHz at 1Pa (Amplifier): < 0.01%
- Output Impedance: 120 O
- Maximum SPL (for 1% THD): > 130 dB
- S/N Ratio: > 89 dBA
- Self Noise (Amplifier): = 5 dBA
- Dimensions / Size: 140 mm L x 21 mm Dia
- Weight: 110 g
- Current Draw from Mains: 2 mA
- Cable: SGMC-5R – 5 Meter (16.9 ft) Cable, Right Angle Female 3 Pin XLR, 3 Pin Male XLR
- Shockmount: M 961 – Suspended Elastic Mount
- Flight Case: ZC61 Soft Foam Zip Case, ZC62 for Stereo Set