The Great River MP-2NV is a dual-channel discrete mic-pre that is fast becoming an industry favorite. The reason? The MP-NV circuit is built on the legendary 1073 British amp circuit. But because Great River uses modern, higher-spec components, the device takes on a cleaner, more open character. That doesn’t mean the MP-2NV is timid, however. Having input gain and output level, along with impedance switch-ability gives the NV a wide range of color and tone. A custom Sowter transformer makes sure the MP-2NV has plenty of bigness and attitude.
The Great River MP-2NV achieves “new classic” performance status with two discrete Class-A gain stages (the dual gain-stage meters are a Great River exclusive), a front-panel DI input jack which is routed via a FET and BJT buffer through the input transformer (also unique to Great River preamps) for must-hear-to-believe sound from all hi-Z instruments, and a discrete high-current Class-A “big iron” transformer-coupled output amplifier. The MP-2NV is a fundamentally important audio tool that brings out the best in every microphone and instrument.
The MP-2NV has an internal power supply suitable for operation on any power grid. A simple change of fuse and proper positioning of a voltage selector will adjust the unit for any voltage between 100 and 240 V AC.
- Multiple In/Out connections: XLR balanced; ¼” -10dbV output for ‘no-latency’ DAW monitoring; high-Z input on front panel (disconnects mic input): TRS ¼” insert patch point for compressor or equalizer ahead of the output amplifier
- Adjustable gain stages: input in 5db steps to 60db; output from -25 to +10db; maximum overall gain 70db; 2 to 3 stages of single ended solid state amplifier gain blocks, depending on gain structure; high-current 70ma Class A bias on output stage
- Input and output meters on each channel (dual-stage metering is a Great River exclusive)
- Front panel switches: polarity; phantom power; input impedance (1200 / 300 ohm); output loading (600 ohm resistor across output transformer)
- High quality, custom wound Sowter transformers
- Gold plated switching contacts
- Local power supply regulation on each channel
- 110 or 220 volt operation with external selection, either 50 or 60 Hz
- 3 year warranty with registration
- Single rack space with internal power supply
- ‘Big Iron Vintage Sound’ from custom-wound transformers
- ‘No-latency’ output monitoring for DAW users
- High-Z input is ideal for bass, guitar, and sound modules (FET-buffered and routed into the input transformer, a Great River exclusive)
- Gain stage monitoring via dual meters (also a Great River exclusive)
- Ultra quiet noise floor for outstanding performance at any gain setting
- Excellent stereo imaging (nearly identical phase response channel-to-channel)