D.W. Fearn VT-1
Single Channel Vacuum Tube Microphone PreAmp with Custom-design Jensen Input & Output Transformers
The D.W. Fearn VT-series preamps recreate the sound of classic tube preamps of the 1960s. Modern components and computer-optimized circuitry, unavailable during the vacuum tube era, elevate this design to a new level of performance.
The VT-series microphone preamplifiers will change the way you think of audio quality. The transparency is astounding. Vocals sound smoother, warmer, more intimate, with a compelling presence. Any microphone and any sound will benefit from the improved clarity, definition, and lack of solid-state artifacts.
The VT-1 recreates the sound of classic tube preamps of the 1960s. Modern components and computer-optimized circuitry, unavailable during the vacuum tube era, elevate this design to a new level of performance.
D.W. Fearn VT-1 Single Channel Vacuum Tube Microphone PreAmp Features :
- Mono version of the highly-acclaimed VT-series
- All vacuum-tube design
- Clean and airy high end
- Fat low end
- Unsurpassed warmth, transparency, and musicality
- Lo-Z input position for superior performance with transformerless mics
- Phase (polarity) reverse switch
- +48 volt phantom power (completely disconnected when off)
- Custom-design Jensen input and output transformers for superb sonics
- 20 dB input pad (switchable)
- True VU meter (amplifier isolated)
- All point-to-point audio wiring
- High-performance, fully-regulated power supplies with exceptional reserve
- Gold input and output XLR connectors
- Polypropylene and polystyrene coupling capacitors
- All audio switching through gold-contact, sealed precision relays
- International operation on 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- +4 dBm output
- Conservatively rated precision components and rugged construction for stability and long life
- Line-level processing with the LP-1 Line Pad accessory
- Also available in a dual-channel version, the D.W. Fearn VT-2
In designing the VT-1, no compromise in sonic quality, reliability, or ruggedness were permitted. Like the best tube equipment of the 1950s and '60s, the VT-2 is built on a heavy-guage aluminum chassis, utilizing point-to-point wiring. Each vacuum tube is selected for minimum noise and microphonics, and maximum sonic clarity. The front panel switches control sealed, gold-contact precision relays for all audio switching, eliminating the possibility of dirty contacts degrading the sound and minimizing the internal audio path. Four class-A triode amplifier sections (in two tubes) in each channel comprise the entire active circuit. This surprisingly simple circuit, along with top-quality components and careful design optimization, results in the sonic superiority that the VT-1 has become known for.
All over the globe, VT-1 preamps are in daily use in the world's best studios, as well as in home project studios, helping many top recording artists achieve the best possible sound.
Design Philosophy :
D.W. Fearn products are hand-built by craftsman, one at a time, in the U.S.A. Unfortunately construction of this quality is not inexpensive. D.W. Fearn never designs to a price goal. They design products with the best possible performance, and then determine what the price has to be. D.W. Fearn products are not for everyone. They are for the discerning ear that will immediately hear the difference and for the user who does not compromise in his goal of making the world’s finest recordings. If that approach describes your recording philosophy, you will find that any of the D.W. Fearn products will make your job easier and more rewarding.
Since the introduction of the VT-1 in 1993, D.W. Fearn has maintained this philosophy - continually gratified that their products are in use by many of the world’s best studios, engineers, producers, and artists.
D.W. Fearn VT-1 SIngle Channel Vacuum Tube Microphone PreAmp Specifications :
- Input 150 ohms
- Input Load Impedance 1.1k ohms minimum
- Minimum Input Leve l -65 dBm nominal
- Maximum Input Level @ 20 cps -30 dBm without pad, -5 dBm with 20 dB pad
- Gain 53 dB
- Frequency Response +/-0.25 dB 20 cps to 20 kc; -3 dB @ 0.5 cps and 65 kc
- THD+Noise less than 0.20% 20 cps to 20 kc
- Intermodulation Distortion SMPTE less than 0.02%
- Signal to Noise Ratio 73 dB minimum
- Equivalent Input Noise -123 dBm maximum
- Output low-Z, transformer-balanced
- Maximum Output Level +22 dBm, 20k ohm load
- Power Requirements 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions 19" (48.26cm) W, 5.25" (13.34cm) H, 14" (35.56cm) D
- Weight 18 lbs (8.16kg)